Hodgson Sayers was appointed by Newcastle City Council to carry out the reroofing of Grange First School in Gosforth.
The project was led by contracts manager, Stuart Ford, with contracts manager, Michael Castling, overseeing the flat roofing requirements.
• A full strip and recover was required which included removing all of the existing slate and replacing it with felt battens and Spanish slate. The area spanned 1700 square metres with 300 – 400 square metres of flat roofing replacement.
• Originally a 16 week project, the work was completed in 12 weeks. With lockdown taking place across the UK
• Photo-voltaic panels were installed of the south facing elevations
• It was crucial the team adhered to Safe2Torch guidelines ensuring a safe system of work when using gas torches for the application of roofing membranes and the drying of roof structures.
• The team liaised with Newcastle City Council throughout the project.
The project had commenced prior to the COVID-19 pandemic therefore the operational management of social distancing compliance, protection of the work force and control of other threats caused by the virus, were implemented and delivered mid-project. This was incredibly challenging for all stakeholders and to do this and complete the project four weeks early and within budget was remarkable.