Having completed phase one to carry out civil works to house a new transformer at the Educational Precinct at Northumbria University, the team was appointed to replace a second transformer.
The civil and building works commenced at the end of May 2018.
Contract manager, Darren Ellis and assistant contract manager, Chris Ingham, led the project from Hodgson Sayers with support from the site teams and apprentices
The company worked alongside IDEC Group.
Civil phase one
- The site set-up to begin, cladding and the front section of the transformer wall removed.
- The wall around the pipework to be removed and timber hoarding installed.
Civil phase two
- Support for the dividing wall between the transformer, the cooler and the external wall are removed
- Padstones installed to help support the new steel beams. The supporting steel is placed within numerous concrete bases to make way for an acoustic screen. This needs to fit between the cooler and transformer to block any noise that could have reached the university and surrounding areas
- During this process a crane is installed to remove the transformer
- Temporary support and gravel removed. Shutter plinth extensions and foundations followed and the team installed ducting and knocked through to the basement
- Blockwork to form an open trench and concrete new plinths followed
- Strip shuttering to take place and backfill compact areas. New drainage to be installed
- The new framework to the dividing wall is implemented as are the new screens
- Clean, washed gravel, is installed and cladding to the new screen before the site is cleared
The project was a collaboration of all parties on site to ensure delivery was planned to compliment each contractors programme.